This year's winners will be announced by February 1, 2020
Instructions for Applying
The Livestock Conservancy is a national non-profit membership organization that works to protect over 150 breeds of livestock and poultry from extinction. Through the generous contributions of grantors and private individuals we have secured funding that will be used to enhance the competitiveness and stability of heritage breed livestock and poultry farms. To help achieve these goals, The Livestock Conservancy will offer competitive small grants to heritage breed enterprises. Funds may be used for improvements for farm animals and infrastructure, promotion and marketing, improved production efficiency, or farmer education, processing, milk, meat and egg production and sales, agri-tourism, wool milling, promotions and marketing.
Who should apply? Applicants can choose to apply for only one of the three focuses of the micro grant program including:
1. National grants program open to all residents and organizations residing and actively working with heritage breeds in the United States.
2. The Northeast program focused on the region of the U.S. as defined by the U.S. Census bureau, which includes the states of: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. Applicants must be residents or organizations of one of these states and actively working with heritage breeds.
3. Youth grants program open to all youth residents of the United State between the ages of 8-18 years old and actively working with heritage breeds.
1. Work with livestock, poultry, or products on The Livestock Conservancy’s Conservation Priority List of heritage breeds which can be viewed here.
2. Complete the online application which must include a detailed plan for the use of the grant funds, a clear timeline for achieving proposed goals, how the project with impact the breed and other producers, and how you will evaluate success.
3. Include two letters of recommendation from a professional relationship or educator; if applicant in under the age of 18, a letter of support from a parent or guardian is additionally required. These can be attached within the on line application in the form of a PDF, MS Word, or JPEG file. Letters may not be requested of or provided by current staff or board members of The Livestock Conservancy.
4. Successful entrants are required to submit a written report on the use and impact of the micro grant funds within one year of acceptance of the award of the funding.
Special consideration will be given to farmers who are active members of their breed associations, and/or will represent The Livestock Conservancy at local events and bring heritage animals for display during the year following receipt of the grant.
How can the grant be spent? Suitable expenditures of grant funds include the purchase, production and marketing of heritage breed animals and their products, and agri-tourism using heritage breeds. Examples of expenditures include, but are not limited to, purchase of livestock or poultry, producer training programs, fences, facilities, supplies, and specialized equipment, or product marketing. Funds must be used as stated in the applicant’s proposal. Funds may not be used for wages or compensation for individuals. Use of funds inconsistent with the proposal will result in forfeiture of award and repayment of funds. Receipts for purchases will be required for reimbursement, or grantees may request purchase to be made directly by the Livestock Conservancy. Farmers have one year to use their funds.
How much is awarded? The amount of award can be from $500-$2,000.
When are applications due? Applications became available August 15, 2019 and must have been received at The Livestock Conservancy’s office no later than October 15th, 2019. Winners will be announced by February 1, 2020.
Where to submit applications:
Electronic applications may be submitted using the link at the bottom of this page. You will need to register for an account with our Microgrants system - note that this is NOT your membership account. This is a new account just for submitting your applications.
For questions, or for those without online access, a paper copy of the application may be requested at:
The Livestock Conservancy
PO Box 477
Pittsboro, NC 27312
Paper applications should be submitted to the mailing address above.
Current employees and Directors of The Livestock Conservancy and their spouses, are not eligible for the program nor may they be used for letters of recommendation. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
If you would like to help fund microgrants or other initiatives, please contact The Livestock Conservancy at (919) 542-5704 or at info@LivestockConservancy.org.