WOOLY WEAVING CHALLENGE EXTRAS
SE2SE Wooly Weaving Challenge Info
Learn to weave a scarf on a Heddle Loom during the October SE2SE Wooly Weaving Challenge with hand-weaver, spinner, knitter and fiber arts educator Melissa Weaver Dunning! Melissa has more than 40 years of experience working on antique equipment to recreate 18th and 19th century home produced textiles. She began her textile study with Scottish master weaver Norman Kennedy in 1980 and carries on this rich tradition in her own teaching. Melissa is an avid tartan and linen weaver, a compulsive knitter and a lover of wool who enjoys sharing her passion for weaving and spinning with students. She is also a ballad singer, specializing in the ballads and songs of Ireland, Scotland and England from before Napoleon’s time.
Join Melissa LIVE on ZOOM and Facebook for three alternating Wednesdays, at 7:00 PM EST, as we weave with rare breed fibers!
Dates and topics are as follows:
- Week 1, Wednesday, October 5, 2022 – Getting Started: Spinning for Weaving, Types of Yarn, Planning a Warp, and Figuring Out Yardage
- Week 2, Wednesday, October 19, 2022 – Detailing: Direct Warping the Rigid Heddle Loom and Weaving Tips
- Week 3, Wednesday November 2, 2022 – Finishing: Hems and Fringe Options, Wet Finishing, Steaming and/or Pressing, and a Project Showcase
Can’t make the live chat? No worries. All videos will be recorded and archived in both the Facebook group and YouTube for later viewing. You can find the YouTube links below. If you can’t make the live chat, you may submit your questions for Melissa in advance.
- Your scarf must be constructed of 100% rare wool from one or more breeds on The Livestock Conservancy’s Conservation Priority List (CPL).
- Only use wool from sheep recognized as purebred on the Conservation Priority List, meaning no crosses. Buying fiber from registered sheep ensures their purebred status.
Please check your confirmation email, sent upon your enrollment, for full challenge details.
Challenge Facebook Group
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Rules
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Resources
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Yarn Info
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Project Worksheet
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Project Worksheet Notes
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Direct Warping and Weaving Tips
- Wooly Weaving Challenge Program 3 Outline
Photo of woven scarf and loom courtesy of Melissa Weaver Dunning.