Internship (part-time temporary)
The Livestock Conservancy is seeking an Intern for our Endangered Swine conservation project. This internship is a temporary, contract position with an expected duration of 3-6 months (300-400 part-time hours) at a pay rate of $9-10/hour. The applicant will work primarily from the Conservancy’s national headquarters in downtown Pittsboro, NC.
The Intern will compile, analyze and summarize population data on Large Black hogs and membership data for the Large Black Hog Association (LBHA). Objectives include: making contact with farmers via telephone and email; gathering membership data; collecting data on pig registrations and mortality/transfers; using pedigree-tracking software to manage herd data; and preparing a final report and newsletter article. The information collected will be used for The Livestock Conservancy’s annual Livestock Census and Conservation Priority List, which helps to prioritize conservation resources for endangered breeds.
• Ability to learn how to plan a project and collect and report data
• Highly organized with an eye for detail
• Ability to use Microsoft Excel and Word
• Effective listening, verbal and written communication skills.
• Good phone skills
• Interest in learning pedigree-tracking software
• Able to take the initiative
• Experience in agriculture, biology or communications preferred but not required
Experience you will gain:
• Skill and experience in planing, collecting and reporting data to a broad audience
• Organizing an effective project
• Training in pedigree-tracking software
• Newsletter article authorship
The application period for this position closes on Monday, Dec. 31st, 2018. Please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org . For general information, visit our website at www.livestockconservancy.org.
This job description outlines the position and its expected duties. It is in no way intended to serve as any form of contract. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.