FELTED LOCKS SHAWL CHALLENGE
SE2SE Felted Locks Shawl Challenge Info
Learn to go directly from raw fleece to finished textile by making a felted shawl. This challenge will teach the technique of felting in the grease in order to make a shawl in the style of a faux sheepskin. Once learned, this technique can be used in any project of any size (from shaggy bags to full-sized rugs), and with many different breeds of wool. Whether you’re looking to make a handmade fashion statement or to learn how to make value-added products to sell at your farm, this class will give you all you need to dive into the wonderful world of felting with raw locks.
Madeline White is the artist behind Vegetarian Viking, and specializes in hand-felting woolen faux furs, using a variety of rare-breed sheep. Her work with wool walked the runway in New York Fashion week in 2021, including a special rare-breed showcase, in which every outfit featured a different breed from The Livestock Conservancy’s Conservation Priority List. She is a long-time fan of Shave ‘Em To Save ‘Em, and is excited to share how to use the lovely range of wool textures to make unique art that can be worn, used in the home, or hung on the wall.
Join Madeline LIVE on ZOOM for three consecutive Tuesdays, at 7:00 PM EST, as we Felt with rare breed fibers!
Dates and topics are as follows:
- Week 1, Tuesday, April 11, 2023 – Getting Started: Breed Selection, Tools and Techniques
- Week 2, Tuesday, April 18, 2023 – Layout & Prep
- Week 3, Tuesday April 25, 2023 – Felting & Trouble Shooting
Can’t make the live chat? No worries. All videos will be recorded and archived in both the Facebook group and YouTube for later viewing. You can find the YouTube links below. If you can’t make the live chat, you may submit your questions for Madeline in advance to email@example.com .
- Your scarf must be constructed of 100% rare wool from one or more breeds on The Livestock Conservancy’s Conservation Priority List (CPL).
- Only use wool from sheep recognized as purebred on the Conservation Priority List, meaning no crosses. Buying fiber from registered sheep ensures their purebred status.
Please check your confirmation email, sent upon your enrollment, for full challenge details.
Challenge Facebook Group